Under direction of the Regional Director of Administration and the Director of Human Resources & Diversity, the Human Resources Manager performs a variety of recruiting and generalist duties, including the interviewing and selection of candidates, conducting new hire orientation, evaluating the workflow of secretarial pairings, performance evaluations, and employee discipline. Responsible for the coordination with Payroll and Benefits for the overall administration of salary information, administration and communication of information regarding the health, welfare, wellness and retirement plans.
• Monitor and coordinate appropriate legal administrative assistant staffing ratios and workflow.
• Confer with attorneys, paralegals and legal administrative assistants regarding secretarial assignments, performance problems and need for additional training.
• Monitor and approve administrative overtime worked by legal administrative assistants.
• Manage all aspects of recruiting including posting positions to the Alston & Bird website, reviewing resumes, conducting & coordinating the interview process, processing background checks & references, testing, sending an offer letter and receiving final approval for hire.
• Generate new hire, departure and change notifications for the Washington, D.C. office.
• Coordinate & conduct New Hire Orientation for new hires.
• Ensure all new hire paperwork is complete & filled electronically then hard copies are processed appropriately.
• Review and authorize timesheets in HRIS system.
• Works closely with the firm-wide Benefits Department in Atlanta to provide information to lawyers and staff in the Washington, D.C. office and to ensure that benefit programs are administered in accordance with established procedure.
• Conduct exit interviews, as assigned, for administrative staff.
• Coordinate educational workshops with Director of Human Resources & Diversity, including dates, topics and the tracking of attendance.
• As specialized educational programs are rolled out, select employees who will participate in programs and track student progress (e.g. Floater Legal Administrative Assistant Program, Team Lead Program)
• Assist with the maintenance of the HR departmental procedures manual, supplying information relevant to procedures in your office.
• Review summary and monthly census report for accuracy.
• Manage the annual review process for the office.
• Attend HR department meetings.
• Assist with firm-wide projects as necessary.
• Manage and mentor the Washington, D.C. Human Resources Coordinator
• Recognize potential legal issues (e.g. sexual harassment, discrimination, termination) and discuss with appropriate resources for direction and guidance.
• Work closely with the firm-wide Administrative Officers, Directors and Managers to ensure that firm-wide practices and procedures are followed.
• Serve as a member of the Firm's Executive Staff.
SKILLS NEEDED TO BE SUCCESSFUL
• Minimum of 5 years' previous HR experience in a law firm or professional services setting or a combination of experience and education.
• Previous supervisory experience of 3-5 years in a related environment, preferred.
• Previous benefits experience of 1-3 years in a related environment.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Demonstrates teamwork, creativity, a desire for continuous improvement, and commitment to the profession.
• Commitment to providing superior customer service.
• Ability to interact effectively with people at all levels of the firm.
• Thorough organizational skills for prioritizing workload and recruiting efforts.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work under pressure, and deal with demanding deadlines; strong attention to detail and team-oriented attitude.
• Thorough knowledge of Firm systems and procedures to efficiently meet Firm personnel demands.
• Advanced technical skills including prior experience with recruiting software and HRIS systems.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor's degree in related field, preferred.
• Advanced knowledge of PC applications, including the entire suite of MS Office applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
HOW TO APPLY: Please visit www.alston.com (professional staff careers)
The statements contained in this position description are not necessarily all-inclusive, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.