Founded in 1908, Ulmer & Berne LLP operates four offices in the Midwest and one office in Florida. Ulmer & Berne serves a wide range of clients that include individuals, sole proprietorships, public and privately held companies, multinational corporations, financial institutions, public bodies and nonprofit organizations. As one of the largest law firms in the U.S., Ulmer & Berne provides excellence in client services on a regional, national, and international level.
We are currently seeking an Accountant I as part of the Accounting team in our downtown Cleveland office. The Accountant I is primarily responsible for suggesting journal entries, bank and ledger account reconciliation, assisting in the preparation of firm financial statements, interfacing with external accountants, assisting with the year-end financial review, and assisting with the preparation of the firm's tax return. As a key member of the finance team, the Accountant I will be responsible for creating routine and ad-hoc reporting, budgeting, general financial analysis as well as reporting on metrics.
Job Duties Include:
• Support the monthly close process of the firm's consolidated financial books and records.
• Ensure accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses.
• Reconcile balance sheet accounts.
• Resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
• Prepare various monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for management.
• Prepare quarterly Sales/Use Tax filings.
• Produce and audit reports on activity and other metrics to be included in the monthly financial report.
• Actively contribute to the creation and improvement of standard reporting of law firm metrics to be used by internal management for the purposes of managing their practice or function within the firm.
• Assist with preparation of pension funding and distribution calculations.
• Work efficiently and effectively to meet deadlines and enhance workflow.
• Support, as needed, various ad hoc projects and process improvement initiatives.
• Process trust transactions from the firm's IOLTA account.
• Provide support to the Financial Controller and Assistant Controller as necessary.
• Assist in the preparation of 1099s.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance, MBA or CPA preferred (but not required). At least two years' experience working in a law firm or service industry and "Big 4" or other Public Accounting experience preferred (but not required). Must possess strong technical analysis skills, including advanced Excel capabilities. Must have the ability to analyze financial data and prepare concise reports to assist management in understanding the variances and make risk assessments.
The ability to multi-task with minimum supervision is required. Knowledge of legal services financial reporting systems such as Aderant or Elite is preferred.
Ulmer & Berne offers an outstanding benefit package with includes: medical/dental, 401(k) with employer contribution, life insurance, short and long term disability plans, and a generous paid time off policy.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the attention Human Resources at Ulmer & Berne LLP; 1660 West 2nd Street; Suite 1100; Cleveland, OH 44113 or online at www.ulmer.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer