The Director of Marketing & Business Development serves as the lead marketing resource and is primarily responsible for building the firm's brand. This position plans and implements a wide variety of marketing and business development initiatives aimed at raising the profile of the Firm and enabling Sunstein attorneys to build client relationships and win new business.
This role requires developing strong working relationships with the attorneys of the firm and with administrative staff throughout the firm. The Director will use marketing experience and practice development opportunities to grow the visibility of the firm.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Analyze market conditions and employ best practices to identify, recommend and implement marketing and business development solutions. This includes refining existing programs and establishing new initiatives such as community involvement, event programs, pro bono and other activities aligned with the business goals of the firm.
• Keep current with, and attorneys apprised of, new developments, trends, tools and solutions in the legal industry.
• Work with the attorneys on drafting, editing and maintaining external communications and collateral materials, including attorney biographies, Sunstein Insider updates, advertisements, invitations, website pages and social media content.
• Manage the use of Interaction, the firm's CRM system. Lead implementation, training and maintenance of Interaction in the office and leverage the system to connect attorneys, clients and other contacts to develop initiatives and other client-facing programs.
• Plan and manage firm-sponsored programs for clients and prospective clients.
• Coordinate all event logistics, including contract negotiations, invitations, mailing lists, handout materials, onsite management, speakers, visual presentations and follow-up with attendees.
• Develop, manage and monitor the marketing budget, including evaluating the return on investment of initiatives. Initiate, collect and analyze feedback surveys as well as regularly track social media metrics for use in developing and driving the Firm and its attorneys' social media exposure.
• Lead the development and submission of directory rankings, awards and surveys to raise the profile of the firm's attorneys and practices.
• Collaborate with business development consultants in the development of pitches, presentations, and RFP responses.
• Identify and drive strategic speaking and authorship opportunities with professional and trade organizations.
• Provide counsel and coaching to partners and associates with regard to their marketing and business development efforts.
• Attend and contribute to office leadership meetings as needed.
• Leverage firmwide resources, including the firm's experience management and knowledge management tools to meet the needs of attorneys and practices in the office.
Education and Experience:
• A minimum of 10 years of marketing or business development experience in law firms or other professional services industry
• A Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university, preferably in marketing, communication, business or related field.
• Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities and take initiative to lead projects
• Demonstrated computer experience: MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Skills and Abilities:
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Good judgment
• Strong interpersonal communication skills
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
• Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
• Able to work under pressure
• Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities