Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP, a global Am Law 100 firm, is seeking an experienced Assistant Office Administrator based in the Downtown Los Angeles office.
Essential Functions of Job:
Successful job applicants will be able to perform these essential functions with or without requested reasonable accommodations. Functions include, but are not limited to, the list below:
- Anticipate and respond to employee relations issues, including policy distribution and interpretation, counseling, and disciplinary issues
- Advise, counsel and demonstrate leadership skills with staffing issues
- Advise managers on HR issues such as counseling employees
- Ensure firm policies are followed and employee relations issues are addressed in a timely and appropriate manner
- Screen, test, interview and make hiring recommendations for Los Angeles non-attorney staff positions
- Oversee onboarding and new hire orientation of staff and attorneys, including initial orientation, training and evaluation
- Conduct 90-day and annual reviews for Los Angeles secretaries and clerks
- Coordinate performance evaluation process for department staff, admin support, paralegals and practice specialists
- In conjunction with the Office Administrator, make recommendations for staff salary increases and bonuses
- Identify needs and coordinate ongoing training for secretaries, paralegals, clerks, and department staff
- Work closely with secretarial coordinator and oversee daily staffing needs
- Supervise Secretarial staff, make reassignments, as necessary, based on needs, skills, workloads, personalities, integration of trainee level support
- Conduct staff exit interviews
- Review and regularly update the designated intranet page for the office
- Cover for the Office Administrator during absences
- Perform daily office walk throughs, assessing any office needs and informing the needs to Office Administrator
- Plan and participate in office activities, and other events and projects within the Los Angeles office
- Communicate effectively and professionally with clients and all Firm personnel and follow up in a timely manner
- Contribute to the overall success of the Firm by performing other duties as assigned by the OA
Supervise Secretarial staff, and make reassignments, as necessary, based on needs, skills, workloads, personalities, and integration of trainee level support.
- Three years previous experience working in a HR position
- Law firm experience preferred
- Ability to read, respond timely/accurately to and organize a high volume of emails
- Proficient with Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Time management skills
- Maintain a professional appearance and positive attitude
- Willingness to cheerfully stretch beyond a managerial role to help wherever needed
- Flexibility to work outside normal office hours when necessary
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to be a self-starter
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and communicate regularly with Office Administrator
- Outstanding attention to detail combined with exceptional spelling, grammar, and proofreading skills
- Excellent listening, comprehension and communication skills – the ability to establish and maintain an effective means of communication and close collaboration with the Office Administrator
- Ability to exercise good judgment
- Ability to take direction, operate objectively and fairly independently
- Flexible, can-do, positive attitude
- Strong leadership qualities (e.g., punctual, reliable, hard-working, team player, etc.)
- Able to work well with all levels within the Firm
Preferred Qualifications: Three years of supervisory responsibility preferred.
Required: Completion of college courses required.
Preferred: Bachelor's Degree preferred in Human Resource Management or related field.
License and Certification
Preferred: CLM or SHRM CP and/or SCP preferred
Required: Proficient with Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
This position is required to work physically in the Los Angeles office Monday-Friday, with some flexibility. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as the workload demands.
Occasional travel, up to 10%.
The employee will frequently be required to walk and sit, as well as to lift, move and carry objects weighing up to 30 pounds, aided by a hand cart or rolling cart. Prolonged sitting/standing at desk, keyboarding, and repetitive hand motion.
We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
PLEASE APPLY USING THIS LINK: https://professionalcareers-sheppardmullin.icims.com/jobs/2905/assistant-office-administrator/job